1238 S. Winnebago St.
Rockford, IL 61102
The Montague Branch Library officially opened on May 24, 1923 and is the library's oldest existing branch library facility. The two-story brick building is located at the corner of Winnebago and Montague Streets. Montague Branch is a 10,000 sq. ft. brick, Spanish Renaissance-style building and was designed by Architect Chester E. Wolfley.
In April 2001, the branch underwent an extensive expansion and renovation project. The addition of the Constance V. Lane community room, a new wireless computer area, and a children's space with storytelling area doubled the size of the facility from 5,000 sq. ft. to 10,000 sq. ft. Many of the original oak bookcases and the fireplace were restored as part of the project.
Collection & Programs:
In addition to its regular collection, the branch houses an extensive assortment of Spanish books, magazines and newspapers reflecting the neighborhood it serves.