Branch Manager: Scharnae Walker
The Montague Branch Library officially opened on May 24, 1923 and is the library's oldest existing branch library facility. The two-story brick building is considered a landmark to residents throughout the entire community. Located at the corner of Winnebago and Montague Streets, this 10,000 sq. ft. brick, Spanish Renaissance-style building was designed by Architect Chester E. Wolfley. It originally had a circulating capacity of 12,000 books and was built for approximately $25,000.
In April 2001, the branch temporarily closed to undergo an extensive expansion and renovation project. The addition of the Constance V. Lane community room, a new wireless computer area, and a children's space with storytelling area have doubled the size of the facility from 5,000 sq. ft. to 10,000 sq. ft. Many of the original oak bookcases and the fireplace were restored as part of the project, maintaining the original character of the branch.
Collection & Programs:
In addition to its regular collection, the branch houses an extensive assortment of Spanish books, magazines and newspapers reflecting the neighborhood it currently serves.