Executive Director: Frank Novak
Assistant Director: Fay Muhammad
Located on the western bank of the beautiful Rock River in the heart of Rockford's downtown River District, this original Carnegie building was opened in 1903 and continues to be a cornerstone of the Rockford community.
The Main Library hosts a vast collection of books, books on tape, magazines, CDs, DVDs, videos, and software. Over 20 public Internet and word processing computers are available to the public. In addition to reference resources, the Library subscribes to dozens of databases that can assist Library customers in researching topics ranging from medical information and authors to current events and history.
Each year, the Adult Services and Youth Services Departments host a wide-range of programs for kids, families and adults including: book discussion groups, author visits, story times, workshops, musical entertainment and other events.
The Main Library's Local History and Genealogy Room located on the third floor is a popular destination for people doing genealogy and Rockford area research.